Ok - so it's American. But I couldn't find a Canadian version of the "Hallmark Ultimate Holiday" app. And if you have a problem with an excuse to celebrate muffins - well then there is a problem with you.
I was, personally, 100% behind this holiday because:
1) it was an excuse to make a healthy sweet treat that I normally wouldn't make the time for
2) I could use up the rest of my almond meal left from making the almond milk
3) blueberry muffins are my FAVOURITE.
I got the recipe from paleOMG.com. It. Is. Phenomenal. And I had all the ingredients on hand, except blueberries. I was almost too lazy to make my way to the grocery store. I thought about subbing raisins, dates, even grapes and passing them off as blueberries. Then I felt shame. And then I decided to not be lazy and go get blueberries. I owed it to National Blueberry Muffin Day.
+Juli Bauer's recipe is perfect. I halved it so instead of making "8-10", I made "4-5" (4).
You need (for the halved recipe):
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 egg (the original calls for three, I'm sure 1 is fine but I did add about a 1/4 cup egg white since I had it)
- 1/6 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (I just looked at the 1/3 marker and filled only halfway)
- 1/6 cup coconut oil (same as above)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda & baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (a couple of cranks on the grinder's worth)
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries *I prefer the texture of frozen blueberries in recipes so that's what I used. I also did NOT half the amount of blueberries from the original
Juli says it best: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. If you’re good at baking, you’ll know to mix the dry then the wet ingredients then mix together, but I do all the ingredients together and it works out just fine.
And she's right, it did turn out fine. Once all combined, bake in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes (always go with the lesser time first and then gauge additional minutes as needed).
|Beware licking the spoon - it is quite likely you will eat a good amount of the batter once you've had a taste.|
|Always remember to put water into unused tins to avoid burning!|
|Oh hey there sexy.|