I have been counting down the days for longer than I care to admit. Why? I can't even really say. It's not like I woke up and had a bunch of boxes of donuts to open that had been delivered overnight by Saint Berliner.
I guess it's just my general love of donuts and the excuse to be able to go bat shit crazy posting about them without being judged. Kind of like this:
So in honour of National Donut Day, here is a recipe:
This recipe came to be after Earth Day this year when I decided to be vegan for the day. The first thing I did was Google whether or not donuts were vegan, when I learned they were not, I set about putting together a recipe for one I would love. It was inspired by this one from Can You Stay for Dinner? and this one from Knead to Cook.
Gluten-Free Vegan Donuts (or, GFV Donuts)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1.25 tsp cinnamon
- .5 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp white table sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 350 and grease your donut pan
2) Mix all the Donut ingredients together until just combined
3) Put the mixture into the donut pan, it should fill each tin generously
4) Put the pan into the oven for 22-25 minutes. The donuts should be firm but not dry
5) Put the donuts on a rack to cool and make the coating. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a container that would fit one donut and has a lid. Then, brush each donut with the melted oil, put the donut in the container, with the lid on, and shake it around to coat it entirely. Do this with each donut (obviously - unless you want some plain ones, but why would you?)
6) Enjoy! I like to store any uneaten ones in the freezer for best freshness results.
Calories: 193 / Fat: 3g / Carbs: 41g / Fibre: 2g / Sugar: 24g / Protein: 2g
Also, my co-worker turned me on to this. So obviously:
Happy National Donut Day!